Tuesday, 12 March 2013

A Summer Chanel Jacket - Vogue 8804

So apparently I'm all about re-making my favourite patterns at the mo.  I've sort of agreed within myself on the philosophy of 'if it works and I like it, I'm gonna make it in every fabric I see fit'! So far, that club ain't too exclusive and it's gradually growing, with the latest edition being Chanel Jacket #2 - Summer Chanel.  (Go on, nosey at my last one if you haven't already!)

I think I love this one even more than the last version I made.  I made the same alterations to Vogue 8804; omitted the side panels on the body and the underarm sleeve panel.  I was tempted to put the lower pockets on, but in all honesty, they would be too small for me to use (thanks massive Galaxy S3 phone) and this time I decided against the brading.  I think I like the simpler version, it really allows the fabric to shine (literally).

The fabric is a lovely 100% New Wool from work.  I fell in love with it and the colour as soon as I seen it.  My only concern was whether or not I could pull it off.  Sometimes I can be quite rosy-cheeked and was fearing major face/jacket clashing but y'kno it's never stopped me before and I just loved it too much!  The other major plus was the rather reasonable price of £19.99m.  The pattern calls for only 1.4m making my outer fabric an amazing £27.99, and let's face it, there's no way I could ever buy a jacket like this for that price anywhere.  I've got say, it was much brighter on the bale, the fact I choose to line it in a navy poly-cotton has dulled it ever so slightly, but not in a bad way.  The wool is such a great weight and weave to work with, it moved and shaped exactly how I wanted it to.  It's also the perfect weight for spring into summer as it's really quite light.  You can't see it in the pictures but the shaping seams show through a little, so I'm glad I chose not to overlock them.

I've been loving orange and blue together lately and knew that if my outer was to be orange, then my lining had to be navy.  I chose poly-cotton as opposed to regular anti-static lining.  I'm not a massive fan of anti-static, it tears and pulls easily, makes me sticky if I get warm and isn't at all breatheable.  Because of all this, I chose to use our basic £2.99m poly-cotton.  Perfect weight, with a little bit of cotton making it more suitable for a spring/summer jacket.  I'm a big advocate of using breatheable linings for comfort, which is why if you ask me what's best to line cotton I'll say lawn and what's best to line silk; bremsilk.  I can't understand those who choose to line natural fabrics with synthetics.


I decided that I wanted some special touches in this jacket; I stuck to the pattern on the sleeves and put in the vent panel, which was far easier to do than I'd expected.  I ended up hand-stitching the hem to have a neater finish and pretend that it's far more couture!  I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the buttons.  They're also from work and I liked them when I picked them, wasn't sure they were fancy enough whilst I was sewing up the jacket, and liked them again when I was rifling through my stash for an alternative.  They make for a nice contrast to the orange and continue with my orange-navy theme.

My other special touch was to cover in the inner hem stitching with lace trim.  I've been making an effort to make my garments as lovely on the inside as they are on the outside and this certainly makes the difference in my jacket.  It just feels more special.  Like a little secret that's there just for me (even although I've shown every one so far and went on about how I hand-stitched it all on! ha).
Again I'm super-proud of this version.  It seems completely different to the last one.  It fits me like a glove, it's really comfortable and most importantly it's different and special and I know I'll treasure it for a long time.

2 comments:

Hi thanks for reading, I always love hearing from my readers so leave me a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can! :)