Wednesday, 28 August 2013

When good dresses happen to bad fabric - By Hand London Anna Dress #2

So strictly speaking this isn't bad fabric.  It's just probably not the best fabric for this pattern.  But I kind of like the result.  I bought this fabric on total impulse and boredom in work on Monday and it's kind of wonderful.  It's called 'scuba' which immediately makes it sound awesome.  The only way to describe it is as a stretch neoprene.  We've got it beside the jersey's in the shop as that's the most fitting area for it.  Not only is it neoprene-y it's also got that fab flocked polka dot going on!
(for some reason, the fabric scanned really grey, but it's black on black.  The me pictures are a truer colour.  Don't even ask what's going on in the close-up's down at the bottom!)

Let me tell y'all, it's amazing to work with!  It moves how you'd like it to and doesn't move when you want to cut into it.  It's got good body and is really comfortable.  And the best thing about it?  It costs £5.99/m!  Factoring in my staff discount, this dress cost me £7.19 and who doesn't love a dress for under a tenner?
 
Clearly inspired, I got to work on it when I got home on Monday night.  I knew it wanted to be the Anna dress.  But when I started cutting out the skirt I suddenly regretted that decision.  I kept thingking to myself, should have been a skater skirt or an Elisalex skirt.  Then when I got to the last panel to cut out, I didn't have enough length left, so have to add a bit onto the botton (but if I hadn't told you that would you have noticed?)  This means that's there's a definite line on the side back panels.  In attempt to mask this, I stitched a line all around the panel join height on the full skirt.  It doesn't hide it, but it made me feel better.
 
Overall, I do like the look of this dress.  The only hang-up is that due to the extra length seam on the back panels, the sides don't quite stick out they way I'd like them too.  But after wearing it for the day, I'm over it.  I was a little concerned that the front bust pleats wouldn't sit right in this fabric, but they turned out quite nicely.
 
This version of the Anna is view 3 but cut a little shorter.  I omitted the zip, due to the stretch of the fabric, and cut the back pieces on the fold.  It sewed up in about an hour, which is all you want for a dress that cost's less than a tenner.
 
Have you seen that the By Hand London ladies just announced the sew-along for this pattern?  I'm totally on it!  They're sew-alongs are always incredible and I can only imagine this one will be the same.  I just found an excuse to buy more fabric didn't I?


Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what a unique fabric! Never would've thought to use something like that, but it totally works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I suppose for the shorter version it shouldn't really matter what fabric to use. I'll just need to find something flow-y to make the longer one! Just seen yours over on the mood blog, looks amazing love! :)

      Delete
  2. Great fabric choice, it looks lovely! and you'r eright, I would never have noticed you had to add a bit on to one of the panels. I'm loving all the Anna's I've seen so far and have already bought the pattern for some post-partum sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh can't wait to see what you'll make post-partum! Hope you're keeping well love x

      Delete
  3. I thought you needed a drapier fabric for this dress (even for the bodice) but this absolutely works. Great job! I am always so impressed at your ability to use interesting fabrics and to make them work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah thanks Helen, I like to pretend sometimes it's so I can explain to customers how they work (in other words justifying why I give Mandors back more money than they give me at the end of the month!). Sometimes it's fun to play about and see what happens!

      Delete

Hi thanks for reading, I always love hearing from my readers so leave me a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can! :)